The Global Leader in
Alcohol Server and Seller Training

California state flag


Alcohol Server Training Law Alcohol Server Training is Mandatory in California.
Recommended Course
TIPS Programs On-Premise: Regulated and mandatory for any alcohol server or manager.
Can I become a Certified TIPS Trainer? Yes. Browse upcoming train-the-trainer workshops.
State Agency California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control

All on-premise alcohol servers and managers must have a valid California RBS certification from California ABC accredited RBS training provider and pass an online California ABC administered RBS exam within 60 calendar days from the first date of employment.

  • Before you complete your registration for this course, you must first obtain a Server ID# from the California RBS website. You will be asked to enter this ID# during your enrollment.
  • Please make sure the following information entered is IDENTICAL to your California RBS registration: Name, email address, and Server ID#. If any item is not IDENTICAL, your completion information will be rejected by the state.
  • Once your completion information is processed by California ABC, you will receive a notification that the California RBS certification exam is available and must be completed within 30 days.
Certification TIPS Certification is valid for 3 years.
Age to consume 21
Age to pour 21
Age to Sell

18. An off-sale licensee may employ a person under the age of 18 if that person is under the continuous supervision of a person 21 years of age or older.

Gasoline/petroleum stations with convenience stores that sell beer and wine for off-premise consumption may only employ persons over the age of 21 between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 2:00 a.m.

Age to Serve

The minimum age for serving alcoholic beverages is 21, except any person between 18 and 21 years of age employed in any bona fide public eating place, which is licensed for the on-sale of alcoholic beverages, may serve alcoholic beverages to consumers only if such service occurs in an area primarily designed and used for the sale and service of food for consumption on the premises, and the primary duties of the employee shall be the service of meals to guests, with the service of alcoholic beverages being incidental to such duties.

All hotel/motel/etc. employees handling the alcoholic beverages to be placed in the controlled access alcoholic beverage cabinet in any guestroom, including, but not limited to, any employee who inventories or restocks and replenishes the alcoholic beverages in the controlled access alcoholic beverage cabinet, must be at least 21 years of age.

Notes on Selling or Serving The sale of alcoholic beverages at self-service checkout stands in all format retail stores is prohibited.
Dram Shop Liability Laws There is no Dram Shop liability in California, except when alcohol is served, sold, or otherwise provided to an obviously intoxicated minor. In such a case the server, seller, or provider may be held liable for damages.
Acceptable Forms of ID

Documentary Evidence of Age and Identity:

To be suitable as evidence for a defense, the identification card must be issued by a governmental agency and have a current description and a picture of the person presenting it which reasonably describes the person as to date of birth weight, height, sex and color of eyes and hair. No defense will exist if the card has obviously been altered or has expired.

In the event an Armed Forces identification card, Passport or Passport Card is provided as proof of identity and lacks a physical description, but does include date of birth and a photo, further proof of identity shall not be required.

A registration certificate issued under the Federal Selective Service Act is no longer considered documentary evidence of age, identity and date of birth.

Green cards and International Driver's Licenses are NOT acceptable forms of ID.