The Global Leader in
Alcohol Server and Seller Training

Iowa state flag


Alcohol Server Training Law Voluntary
Recommended Course
Approved TIPS Programs Classroom: On Premise, Off Premise, Gaming, Concessions, and University
Online: eTIPS is valid for certification
Can I become a Certified TIPS Trainer? Yes. Browse upcoming train-the-trainer workshops.
State Agency Iowa Alcoholic Beverage Division (ABD)
Requirements The IA ABD recognizes TIPS as an "expanded approach to responsible beverage server training."
Certification TIPS Certification is valid for 3 years.
Age to consume 21
Age to pour 18 for On Premise consumption
Age to Sell 16 for Off Premise retail and to deliver to retailers. 21 to deliver to consumers.
Age to Serve 18 for On Premise consumption
Notes on Selling or Serving Per Iowa law: "A person shall not sell, dispense, or give to an intoxicated person, or on simulating intoxication, any alcoholic liquor, wine, or beer" (IA Code 123.49 (I). The law does not specify a BAC for determining intoxication in such cases.
Dram Shop Liability Laws Yes. When licensees sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption, they are required to have dram shop liability insurance. (Dram shop liability insurance is not required for off-premises licenses.)
Acceptable Forms of ID Licensees (their employees and agents) are responsible for determining whether or not an individual is old enough to lawfully consume alcoholic beverages. When licensees have doubts about a person's age, the licensee should ask for identification before selling or serving the alcoholic beverage. If after checking the ID, the licensee still has doubts, the sale should be refused.