The Global Leader in
Alcohol Server and Seller Training

North Dakota State flag

North Dakota

Alcohol Server Training Law Non-Regulated
Recommended Course
Approved TIPS Programs Classroom: On Premise, Off Premise, Concessions, and Gaming
Online: eTIPS is valid for certification
Can I become a Certified TIPS Trainer? Yes. Browse upcoming train-the-trainer workshops.
State Agency North Dakota Attorney General, Alcoholic Beverage Licensing
Requirements N/A
Certification TIPS Certification is valid for 3 years.
Age to consume 21
Age to pour 21
Age to Sell 21
Age to Serve 18 in a restaurant only. All other establishments 21.
Notes on Selling or Serving Servers and sellers under 21 must be under the direct supervision of another employee at least 21 years of age. Servers 18-20 can work only in a restaurant which is separate from the bar area and where the gross sales of food are at least equal to the gross sales of alcohol.
Dram Shop Liability Laws Yes
  1. Every spouse, child, parent, guardian, employer, or other individual who is injured by any obviously intoxicated individual has a claim for relief for fault under section 32-03.2-02 against any person who knowingly disposes, sells, barters, or gives away alcoholic beverages to an individual under twenty-one years of age or to an incompetent or an obviously intoxicated individual, and if death ensues, the survivors of the decedent are entitled to damages defined in section 32-21-02. If a retail licensee is found liable under this section and exemplary damages are sought, the finder of fact may consider as a mitigating factor that the licensee provided to an employee alcohol server training that addressed intoxication, drunk driving, and underage drinking.
  2. If a retail licensee provided to an employee alcohol server training that addresses intoxication, drunk driving, and underage drinking, a person with a claim for relief under this section may not use the fact that the retail licensee provided this training to prove culpability.
  3. A claim for relief under this section may not be had on behalf of the intoxicated individual nor on behalf of the intoxicated individual's estate or personal representatives, nor may a claim for relief be had on behalf of an adult passenger in an automobile driven by an intoxicated individual or on behalf of the passenger's estate or personal representatives.
Acceptable Forms of ID A valid driver's license or identification card issued by this state, another state, or a province of Canada which includes the photograph and date of birth of the licensed individual; a valid military identification card issued by the United States department of defense; or a valid passport issued or recognized by the United States.