The Global Leader in
Alcohol Server and Seller Training

Pennsylvania state flag


Alcohol Server Training Law Mandatory
Recommended Course
Approved TIPS Programs Online: eTIPS includes RAMP server/seller training approved by the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board (PLCB).
Can I become a Certified TIPS Trainer? You may become a certified TIPS trainer, but TIPS is not a RAMP classroom provider in PA. To become a RAMP Trainer, certified TIPS Trainers must meet specific requirements and apply with the PLCB.
State Agency Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board
Requirements As of 2016 the state Liquor Code requires that anyone who serves or sells alcoholic beverages and/or checks IDs, including but not limited to bartenders, waiters, certificate distributor sales persons, bouncers, door persons, etc. – must complete RAMP Server/Seller training within six months of being hired by a licensee, unless the person successfully completed RAMP Server/Seller training prior to being hired. The TIPS Program has been approved by PLCB Bureau of Alcohol Education to provide RAMP Server/Seller training combined with our highly successful program to prevent intoxication, underage drinking and drunk driving.
Certification Training is valid for 2 years.
Age to consume 21
Age to pour 18
Age to Sell 18
Age to Serve 18

Minors who are 16 and 17 years old may be employed to serve food, clear tables and perform other duties that do not include serving alcoholic beverages.
Notes on Selling or Serving N/A
Dram Shop Liability Laws Yes, with conditions.

Section 493(1) of the Pennsylvania Liquor Code prohibits licensees from selling, furnishing or giving any liquor or malt or brewed beverages or to permit any liquor or malt or brewed beverages to be sold, furnished, or given to any person visibly intoxicated, or to any minor [47 P.S. 4-493(1)].

However, civil liability is separate from liability under the Liquor Code. Section 497 of the Liquor Code provides that no licensee shall be liable to third person on account of damages inflicted upon them off of the licensed premises by customers of the licensee unless the customer who inflicts the damage was sold, furnished, or given liquor or malt or brewed beverages by the licensee or its agents, servants, or employees, when the customer was visibly intoxicated. [47 P.S. 4-497].
Acceptable Forms of ID Nothing in the Liquor Code or the Board’s Regulations requires patrons to possess valid identification while on licensed premises. However, section 493 of the Liquor Code states that licensees are strictly liable for service to minors, including minors who may be on licensed premises with a parent, legal guardian, or under proper supervision. [47 P.S. 4-493(1)].

A valid photo driver’s license or identification card issued by the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation or by any other state, a valid United States Armed Forces identification card, or a valid passport or travel visa issued by the United States or a foreign country that contains the holder’s photograph, are all acceptable as identification cards. [47 P.S. 4-495(a)].