The Global Leader in
Alcohol Server and Seller Training

Virginia state flag


Alcohol Server Training Law Voluntary
Recommended Course
Approved TIPS Programs Classroom: On Premise, Off Premise, Concessions, Gaming, and University
Online: eTIPS is valid for certification
Can I become a Certified TIPS Trainer? Yes. Browse upcoming train-the-trainer workshops. Training supplemental material is required.
State Agency Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control
Requirements Virginia has a voluntary Responsible Vendor Program. TIPS is an approved provider of this program.
Certification TIPS Certification is valid for 3 years.
Age to consume 21
Age to pour Must be 21 to pour, but an individual who is 18 years old may act in the capacity of a bartender in an establishment that serves beer and wine.
Age to Sell 18
Age to Serve 18
Notes on Selling or Serving N/A
Dram Shop Liability Laws No
Acceptable Forms of ID A Virginia driver's license or Virginia DMV identification card; A valid state driver's license issued by any state of the United States or the District of Columbia; A valid armed forces or Coast Guard ID issued by the U.S. government; or a valid U.S. passport or passport card, or a valid foreign government visa.

A government-issued Alien Resident Card is not an acceptable identification card, because it doesn't contain the height and weight of the subject. College/university ID, expired ID, social security card, government work ID, resident alien card, green card, international driver's license, INS border crosser card and INS worker's authorization card are specifically NOT APPROVED for use as identification for the sale or service of alcoholic beverages.